INDY ECLIPSE WEEKEND
Presented by IU Indianapolis:
April 5-8, 2024
On April 8, 2024, at 3:06 pm, a total solar eclipse will be completely visible throughout the continental United States. The sun, moon, and earth will align. This "syzygy" will put the sky into epic and unforgettable temporary darkness. Though the following solar eclipse will occur in the year 2044, Indianapolis will not be within the path of totality until the year 2153 - 129 years after 2024. So buckle up and plan your eclipse-viewing in Indy. The April 8 eclipse is your once-in-a-lifetime chance to see a total solar eclipse appear over the Circle City.
WELCOME TO INDY: THE ECLIPSE CAPITAL OF THE MIDWEST
Indy is in the path of totality and is a perfect spot to view and celebrate the eclipse. The eclipse will be fully visible across the United States, but nowhere will there be such a connected and accessible destination as the "Crossroads of America." Indianapolis, located in the center of the "Path of Totality," will see a total solar eclipse for 3 minutes and 46 seconds on April 8, 2024 at 3:06 pm.
Countdown to the Eclipse
Book Your Eclipse Hotel Stay
Indy is planning a weekend-long party with gatherings, films, games, special performances, lectures & more across the city to celebrate space, astronomy, astrology and anything related to the eclipse. Start planning your Indy Eclipse Weekend with these suggestions.
2024 TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE
- Join the Indianapolis Motor Speedway and NASA on April 8, 2024, for the Total Solar Eclipse that will cross North America.
- General admission tickets are $15 per person and include gate admission April 8, infield parking and a pair of limited-edition solar eclipse glasses – “The Greatest Spectacles.”
- NASA will broadcast live from the facility, and NASA experts will be on-hand to answer questions about the scientific phenomenon that is a total solar eclipse!
- Camping packages are available for Indy Eclipse Weekend at Lot 2 at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway.
- An ideal spot for viewing the eclipse, the green space at White River State Park will have a weekend full of activities.
- Meet up with community activations and vendors as the city waits for the scientific phenomenon.
- With 40 food trucks gathering along the Old Washington Street Bridge, you'll have ample opportunities to fuel up and get ready for the main event.
TOTAL SOLAR ECLIPSE CELEBRATION
- Learn about the total solar eclipse, how to safely view this phenomenon and enjoy sun, Earth and moon hands-on activities and demonstrations throughout the day.
- Find your spot on the front lawn for viewing the solar eclipse, weather dependent.
- Register now for the VIP Event, Solarbration, including access to the balcony with a direct line of sight to the total solar eclipse, a bar with specialty drinks and cocktails, and eclipse-themed hors d’oeuvres.
TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE ART
- Celebrate this once-in-a-lifetime experience with a rockin' music festival, food, and festivities in a historic and memorable location.
- At 3:06 pm, bask in the moon’s shadow for three and a half minutes, while toasting with champagne across the expansive campus of Newfields.
TOTAL ECLIPSE 2024
- Learn about what life was like living and working in space from our Hoosier astronaut Mark Brown.
- Experience a specialized dance performance created to reflect the theme light and shadow from the dance group UZIMA.
- Bust a move with Stella Luna & the Satellites as they create a buzz with today’s current hits, crowd favorites and timeless classics from many different styles of music that provide a variety of exciting sounds.
- Experience this once-in-a-millennium solar phenomenon at The Children's Museum.
- Join us for giveaways, activities, and festivities to celebrate the historic event.
- Solar viewing glasses will be available—limit one per person while supplies last.
Tattersall Aquavit, Sauvignon Blanc, Orgeat, Elderflower Liqueur, Strawberry Puree, Lemon Juice…
Aperitivo, Squid ink, and ginger beer. And Indiana-born Bonesnapper Rye, Campari, lemon, and…
Pandan leaf simple syrup, Obscura blackberry cider, Black pepper coconut cream whip.
Blue Curaçao, Kettle One Vodka, Champagne
Tito’s, Simple, Lemon, Lychee and bitters, Aperol float and orange peel garnish.
El Jimador Tequila Blanco, St. George Nola Coffee Liqueur, Orange juice, Lemon juice, Simple syrup…
Centenario tequila, coffee concentrate, montenegro, creme de cacao, ancho reyes verde, mole bitters…
Mango Habanero Bourbon, Lemon, Passion Fruit & Mint. And Vodka, Elderflower Liqueur, Lime, Passion…
Compoveda Rosa Tequila, Giffard Strawberry, Heirloom Genepy, Capelletti, Simple, Lime, Red Pepper…
Pisco, Bianca Vermouth, orgeat, lemon, pineapple, cucumber, red bell pepper, red onion, sesame oil.
- Indiana has an incredibly rich history in astronomy having produced some of the country’s most notable astronauts like Neil Armstrong, an alum from Purdue University’s acclaimed aerospace program.
- Indy is already a unique destination for the solar eclipse as we’re home to one of the largest public observatories in the world and one of the tenth largest telescopes east of the Mississippi River in the Holcomb Observatory and Planetarium.
- The Great North American Solar Eclipse is expected to last just under four minutes, which is double the time of the 2017 total solar eclipse.
- 31M people live in the path of totality, and Indy is within a day’s drive to more than half of the nation’s population.
Rolling into Indy
Seeing the city and the solar eclipse on your own terms? These RV hookup spots are ready to welcome you.
- Indianapolis Motor Speedway: The Indy Motor Speedway is known for the Indy 500 of course. But did you also know that this tourist spot can also serve as an RV site with both primitive and electric spots available? Check out the eclipse in one of the most unique campgrounds in the country.
- Indiana State Fairgrounds: The Fairgrounds are chock full of hookup spots - 140 of them in fact. With easy access to downtown, you can watch the eclipse and then visit any of the city’s other great attractions.
- Raceview Family Campground: This campground is home to 200 electric hookup spots, as well as 400 primitive spots for RVs to park. The area also has fill and dump stations available to patrons for ease and comfort while watching the eclipse.
- Lake Haven Retreat: Lake Haven Retreat has 100 spaces, 30 of which are full hookups. This 8-mile spot is full of outdoor activities with plenty of things to do while taking in the sights of the eclipse,
- Indianapolis KOA Holiday: The KOA Holiday is a great spot for all your campsite needs. With 115 full hookup spots, either electric, regular, deluxe, or super deluxe, this 15-mile site is perfect for the spectacle of the decade.
- Indy Lakes: If you’re looking for a day on the lake while watching the eclipse, look no further than the Indy Lakes! 52 full hookup spots are available for guests to park and enjoy the phenomenon.
dress for the occasion
From The Shop Indy
Get your official Indy-branded t-shirt from The Shop Indy. With the iconic "Indy" logo set in front of the solar eclipse, you can tout your part in this once-in-a-lifetime experience with this Indy wearable.
Travelers are planning ahead to get the best views of the celestial sensation. Total solar eclipses…
On April 8, 2024, all eyes will be on the sky. A rare total solar eclipse will travel across a…
Less than a year from now, there will be a rare, total solar eclipse across a wide swath of the U.S…
The 2024 solar eclipse is expected to be the largest mass travel event ever in the U.S.—a celestial…
You may not have figured out what you’re doing this weekend, but this is one of those rare moments…
Tourism leaders say Indianapolis will be "The Eclipse Capital of the Midwest" as the sun, moon and…
We’re now less than a year out from Solar Eclipse Weekend — an event marking the last chance to see…
The next total solar eclipse to appear in the U.S. will be on April 8, 2024. Accommodations in the…
Media interested in attending events over Indy’s solar eclipse weekend, please fill out the credentialing application here.
Indy Eclipse Weekend is grateful for the sponsorship from IU Indianapolis