Gaming & Arcades
Your all-inclusive guide to gaming in the Circle City, dubbed one of the best places to game in the country.
From the largest tabletop game convention in North America to augmented-reality gamers taking over White River State Park, Indy has open arms when it comes to hosting gaming events.
Gen Con is the original, longest-running, best-attended gaming convention in the world. Each year, over 65,000 people make the pilgrimage to engage with thousands of events, a cosplay costume contest, film festival, anime, Authors' Avenue, art show, and more. "The Best Four Days in Gaming" fills both the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium with the fun spilling out onto South Street for daily food trucks and events. If you are a gamer, Gen Con is a bucket list experience.
Who's Yer Con
Board game fans flock to this free, tabletop gaming convention that features a large game library (you borrow what you want to play), a dealer hall, kids' activities, escape rooms, a dance, game demos, and plenty of open gaming space.
Eat and Drink Like Pac-Man
These gaming-themed hot-spots are your haven in Indy. Enjoy the best game-themed cocktails, tasty treats, and authentic antique arcade games.
- Tappers Arcade Bar: Located in the Fletcher Place neighborhood, Tappers stole the scene as Indy's original retro arcade bar. You'll find over 60 free-to-play games, regional craft beer, mouth-watering snacks, and craft cocktails. Don't miss themed trivia on Wednesdays and Sundays.
- 16-Bit Bar+Arcade: This newest addition to downtown is redefining how a night out is best played. Offering classic arcade games, pinball, skeeball, old-school cocktails, and an awesome beer selection, 16-Bit will have you partying like it’s 1999, or 1989 for that matter.
- The Paddock Racing Club & Driver Training: Racers of all levels can hone their skills with full-motion, state-of-the-art simulators utilizing some of the most famous race tracks around the world. Laser scanning and telemetry analysis guarantee the highest tech, cutting edge immersion.
- TILT Studio: This epic arcade in Circle Centre mall has hyper-bowling, laser tag, a real Indy 500 Race Car Challenge, and so much more.
- Books + Brews: Conceived as a "place for people without a place," Books + Brews mixes craft beer, literature, table games, and community engagement to create a unique space for people to proudly be themselves.
- Press Play Gaming Lounge: Brownsburg boasts this high-tech Ultra VR studio. Eat and game, book a party, and enter the omniverse.
For more great options to eat while you game, check out our 25 Top Local Restaurants
Augmented Reality Game Play in Downtown Indy
Let's be real: Pokemon and Foundables are not going to find themselves. So, whether you're playing Pokemon Go or Wizards Unite, you can use it as an excuse to explore the city. With Verizon 5G service with average speeds of 300 Mbps and peak speeds of up to 1000 Mbps, there are no laggy games in Indy!
- Central Canal & White River State Park: A 3-mile pedestrian loop around the Central Canal and 250 acres of greenspace in White River State Park provide a scenic setting and fertile ground for game play.
- Monument Circle: The geographic and spiritual heart of Indy has a central roundabout and spokes in all directions that may lead to unexpected treasure.
- American Legion Mall: Explore four city blocks of greenspace filled with stirring monuments and memorials that make ideal hiding spots for that which you seek.
- Indianapolis Cultural Trail: Jump on the 8-mile Cultural Trail and the entire city becomes your game board. Connect with neighborhoods including Mass Ave, Fountain Square, Indiana Avenue, and the heart of downtown.
If you're in Indy and you need gear, these local shops have you covered.
- Good Games: The first US location for Good Games is right in the heart of downtown Indy. With over 20 tables and seating for well over 100, they are sure to have just the game for you and room to play.
- The Exchange: This Broad Ripple staple is your spot for vintage video games. Everything from CDs, to DVDs, to massive finds await you.
- The Game Preserve: With two stores in the Indy area (Greenwood, Castleton) The Game Preserve is one of the longest-running shops specializing in miniatures, workshops, puzzles, and games of all types.
- Game Time: Stop by this Castleton store for Pokemon, board games, Magic the Gathering, storage supplies, and any gaming accessories you may need.
- Family Times Games: Gamers on Indy's northwest side trust the store to find just the right game for any family. It's a one-stop destination for all your gaming needs.
- Paradigm Games: Positioning itself as a friendly, local game store, Paradigm provides a welcoming space for all ages. Try before you buy with selections from the board game library.
- Saltire Games: Buy here, play here at this far eastside shop. Find new and used games of all types. If you don't find what you seek, Saltire will order it for you.
- Grandmaster Games: This Southport location is THE place to play card games in Indy. Play in tournaments, buy and trade cards, and learn new games.
- Hero's Emporium: A great selection of board games, miniatures, D&D, Magic the Gathering, and much more, all at great prices.
- Games to Die For: Your gaming destination in Brownsburg. With a knowledgeable staff and large range of games, this shop wants to help grow the Indy-area gaming community.
- Moonshot Games: Moonshot has two locations in Noblesville (9th Street, Conner Street) both specializing in board games, as well as MTG, D&D, Pokemon, and more. Start making family game night memories.