Only in Indianapolis Tour
Discover the neighborhoods, attractions, and eateries that are exclusively and only-in-Indy. These tour ideas will delight your guests and put a distinctive Indy "stamp" on their travel experience.
- Monument Circle – The city's geographic and historic center is European in feel and is anchored by the Soldiers and Sailors Monument. Take a trip to the top for a birds-eye view of the city. Tour groups will also enjoy refreshments along the Circle at Rocket Fizz and South Bend Chocolate Company. 1 hour.
- White River State Park – the nation’s largest urban state park encompasses 250 acres in downtown Indy and houses multiple unique attractions, among them the NCAA Hall of Champions, the Simon Skjodt International Orangutan Center at the Indianapolis Zoo and the Eiteljorg Museum of American Indians and Western Art. Varies from 1 hour to full day.
- The Cultural Trail – recognized internationally as a bold, progressive step taken by Indy, this 8 mile walking/biking trail connects downtown Indy with its nearby cultural neighborhoods, and along the way presents art and history. 1-2 hours.
- The Indianapolis Motor Speedway – world-renowned as the Racing Capital of the World, the 2.5-mile track hosts tour groups year-round, showcasing the remarkable facility, its history and racing personalities now spanning 100 years. 1-2 hours.
- The Children’s Museum of Indianapolis – only one children’s museum can be the largest in the world and it is in Indianapolis. Consistently ranked a top family attraction, its varied programming and exhibits offer plenty for all ages. 1-3 hours.
- 100 Acres: Art & Nature Park – stroll the stunning park with its gardens, waterways and woodlands while discovering along the way remarkable outdoor art and sculpture. 100 Acres is just one experience on the campus of the Indianapolis Museum of Art. 1-3 hours.
- Madam Walker Legacy Center – be inspired by the remarkable story of Indianapolis entrepreneur Madam C.J. Walker, the nation’s first female self-made millionaire. The theatre that stands as her legacy tells her story of tenacity, ingenuity and community service. 1 hour.
- Indiana Medical History Museum – early psychiatric science was practiced in Indianapolis at the Old Pathology Lab at Central States Hospital. A fascinating tour of the labs, teaching auditorium, and autopsy rooms make for a very unique and thought-provoking experience. 1 hour.
- Rhythm! Discovery Center – this is the largest percussion museum in the world, operated by the Percussive Arts Society. Groups enjoy interactive opportunities (bang the gong), drum circles, and the vast history and variety of percussive instruments. 1 hour.
- Kurt Vonnegut Memorial Library – Pulitzer-prize author Kurt Vonnegut grew up in Indianapolis and this library showcases his books, beloved typewriter, whimsical cartoon doodles and more. 1 hour.
- Scottish Rite Cathedral – a preeminent Neo-Gothic architectural wonder, tour groups are struck with the grandeur and history of the largest structure in the world devoted to freemasonry. 1 hour.
- Mind Tripping Show – be entertained by the number one comedic mind-reading couple in the nation with an interactive show that keeps attendees second-guessing and wondering just how did they do that? 2 hours.
- Mass Ave – located along the Northeast diagonal street leading out of downtown Indy, Mass Ave is known as the city’s free-spirited neighborhood of public art, galleries, theatre and authentic, local eateries and shops. 1-4 hours.
- Fountain Square – follow the southeast diagonal street out of downtown to Fountain Square, a funky, trendy, retro neighborhood filled with local dining, live music, antique shops and art studios. The Fountain Square Theatre Building anchors the district. There you will find Duckpin bowling, a fun group experience that can include a meal. 1-4 hours.
- Broad Ripple Village – north of downtown Indy, the village is a fusion of old and new, creative and commercial, and a vibrant center of neighborhood shops, galleries, restaurants, clubs and nightlife all along the canal and White River. 1-4 hours.
Please schedule 1-2 hours for dining experiences.
- Chef JJs – only offering private group dining by advance reservation, enjoy a dining experience with JJ as he prepares meals on the Big Green Egg. Cooking classes and interactive meal preparation available. Two locations, in Broad Ripple and Downtown Indy.
- MESH on Mass - a signature dining experience on Mass Ave, featuring inventive American cuisine and locally sourced foods.
- Shapiro’s Delicatessen – one of the nation’s Top 10 delis, where the sandwiches are piled high and the matzo ball soup is served daily. Groups welcome with advance notice.
- Skyline Club – dine atop the 36th floor of the One America Tower, overlooking bustling downtown Indianapolis. The staff loves to customize the menu to make it perfect for your group.
- Slippery Noodle Inn – Indiana’s oldest bar is now one of Indy’s top dining and music experiences, with nightly live blues. The Noodle’s history includes ghosts, the Underground Railroad and John Dillinger.
- Tavern on South – locally sourced foods are the mainstay of this downtown restaurant nestled near Lucas Oil Stadium. Private dining on the second floor includes an outdoor patio/balcony.
- Hollyhock Hill – an Indianapolis landmark restaurant on the city’s north side, serving family-style meals of scrumptious Hoosier fried chicken, succulent steaks and all the trimmings.
- The Jazz Kitchen – Indy’s premier jazz club and restaurant features live jazz music daily with many entrees with a Cajun twist. Get your toes ready to tap.
- The Loft at Traders Point Creamery – the rustic but elegant Loft restaurant has true farm-to-table entrees, many sourced from the Traders Point Creamery farming and dairy operation. Seasonal menus keep it all fresh.
- Rick’s Café Boatyard – dine on the water at Eagle Creek Reservoir. With indoor and outdoor seating, Rick’s brings blue skies, sunsets and sailboats to your dining experience.
Please contact John Mellinger, Visitor Experience Manager/Information Specialist - Incoming Tours, for more detailed information about the venues and activities on this itinerary.