“On the fringes of society.” It’s a phrase referring to something at the edge, something unconventional. It’s outside the norm, in other words. Extreme, not mainstream.
*cough* IndyFringe Festival *cough*
For the past umpteen years, IndyFringe has celebrated both emerging and established performers and theatre companies. Some groups are local; others are nationally known. The types of shows vary, too. Genres include dance, drama, comedy, cabaret, magic, and music. There are shows meant for adults (Have You Been Drinking?), while others are family-friendly (Narnia). Truly, there’s something for everyone.
So you know what to expect at the 2021 IndyFringe Festival, here are the brass tacks.
By The Numbers
- 5 - the number of venues, which are all in and around Mass Ave
- 30 - the percentage of artists who identify as Black, indigenous, or people of color
- 35 - the percentage of artists who identify as LGBTQIA+ 35 - the percentage of shows written by female-identifying artists
- 50 - the number of different shows to choose from
- 250 - the total number of performances
- 319 - the number of performance artists IndyFringe will run over three extended weekends.
Instead of its usual 10-day format, IndyFringe will take place now through Sept. 5. Performances will be spread across three weekends, with shows on Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays.
There are various ticket options. General admission per show is $20 for adults and $14 for students/children. You can get a “Fiver Pass” for $85, though. It saves you $15 and allows you to see five different shows. Or, instead, you could take a group of five people to one show. Dealer’s choice. Another ticket option—rush tickets. They are special, $12 day-of-show discounts designed to help you see all kinds of performances. (To get rush tickets sent to your inbox, sign up here.)
There are safety protocols in place. At indoor events, masks are required. If you forget yours, there will be free masks at the box office. Masks may only be removed when social distancing is possible. To cut down on lines and wait times, IndyFringe strongly recommends purchasing tickets ahead of time. Do this by either visiting indyfringe.com or calling 317-210-4639.
Break a leg!