The Midwest’s Largest Short Film Festival!
Indy Shorts International Film Festival, presented by Heartland Film and the organizers of the Heartland International Film Festival (HIFF), is an Academy Award®-qualifying fest dedicated to the art of short film! The largest short film festival in the Midwest, Indy Shorts showcases storytelling from around the world. Indy Shorts expanded as its own separate event from HIFF in summer 2018 and all winners (Grand Prize and Audience Choice Awards) will play encore screenings at HIFF in October 2019.
Academy Award® Qualification & Winning Track Record
Since 2009, shorts programmed by Heartland have gone on to earn 17 Academy Award® nominations and 6 Academy Award® wins with an active 4-year winning streak. Just recently the 2018 Indy Shorts Documentary Grand Prize Winner and Academy qualifier “ZION” was shortlisted for the 2019 Academy Awards in the documentary short subject category and won best documentary short at the International Documentary Association Awards. Other 2018 Finalist shorts “Period. End of Sentence.” and “One Small Step” were also shortlisted in their respective categories.
Indy Shorts is an Academy Award®-qualifying film festival in both the Live Action and Documentary Short Subject film categories, and the winners of the Narrative and Documentary Grand Prizes will qualify for Academy Awards® without the standard theatrical run, granted it meets all the other requirements.
2019 Indy Shorts’ Featured Programs:
- Indy Shorts Finalists – Indy Shorts finalists will make up two programs during the festival, which will include the top five short films for each category, including documentary, narrative and animated.
- Indy Shorts Official Selections – Enjoy additional programs of Indy Shorts Official Selections throughout the four-day event.
- Indiana Spotlight – Showcases talented filmmakers from the Hoosier state. Must meet two of the following criteria for eligibility: 65 percent of the film was shot in Indiana, the director is a current Indiana resident or native, or the producer/executive producer/writer is a current Indiana resident or native.
- High School Film Competition – Encourages tomorrow’s filmmakers to get involved with the Festival. Directors must have been in high school when the film was completed and must not have graduated from high school any earlier than Summer 2018.
- Joyce Forum – Award-winning short films from The Joyce Forum at the San Diego Jewish Film Festival that portray the Jewish experience from contemporary and historical perspectives.
- 9FilmFest – Award-winning short films from Bangkok’s 9FilmFest from around the world.
- Easterseals Disability Film Challenge – Award-winning short films from Easterseals Disability Film Challenge helping change the way the world defines and views disability.
2019 Indy Shorts’ Schedule of Events:
- Indy Shorts Reveal Party
Thursday, June 27 - 7 pm, 8 pm
1043 Virginia Ave. #2
Heartland Film will host the Indy Shorts Reveal Party, where the film lineup, a schedule of events and more details will be announced. As an added bonus, Iggy, Indy Shorts’ spokesgnome who is an expert in all things short, will be in attendance at this event, as well as film directors and influencers in the filmmaking industry. Music, food, wine, Sun King beer and a few surprises will be just some of the fun items offered at this party to get people excited for Indy Shorts. Tickets on sale soon at indyshorts.org.
- Indy Shorts Kickoff and After Party
Thursday, July 25
4000 Michigan Rd.
Join Heartland Film in kicking off the grand opening of Indy Shorts International Film Festival at this red-carpet style event.
- Summer Nights at Newfields
Friday, July 26 - 7:30 pm
4000 Michigan Rd.
Join us for an outdoor screening of a selection of Oscar-nominated short films and free pizza from HotBox Pizza.
- Awards Show & Screening
Saturday, July 27 - 7 pm
4000 Michigan Rd.
Join Heartland Film in a celebration of Indy Shorts’ filmmakers, honoring their outstanding work and moving stories. The event will feature cash prizes and filmmakers from around the world and a screening of the Grand Prize Award-winning short films. Awards After-Party taking place at the Alexander Hotel.
- Music & Shorts
Sunday, July 28 - 6 pm
The Jazz Kitchen
45377 N College Ave.
For the last night of Indy Shorts, enjoy some short films and dance the evening away at The Jazz Kitchen.