Union Literary Institute was one of the first schools to offer higher education without regard to color or sex before the Civil War. It was established in 1846 by a biracial board, including free blacks from nearby settlements. Students labored four hours a day in exchange for room and board. In 1860 a two-story brick structure was built. The school was a noted Underground Railroad stop.