From the largest tabletop game convention in North America to augmented-reality gamers taking over White River State Park, Indy has open arms when it comes to hosting gaming events.
Gen Con is the original, longest-running, best-attended gaming convention in the world. Each year, over 65,000 people make the pilgrimage to engage with thousands of events, a cosplay costume contest, film festival, anime, Authors' Avenue, art show, and more. "The Best Four Days in Gaming" fills both the Indiana Convention Center and Lucas Oil Stadium with the fun spilling out onto Georgia Street for daily food trucks and events. If you are a gamer, Gen Con is a bucket list experience. Next year's event takes place July 30-August 2.
Board game fans flock to this free, tabletop gaming convention that features a large game library (you borrow what you want to play), a dealer hall, kids' activities, escape rooms, a dance, game demos, and plenty of open gaming space. Who's Yer Con 2020 will happen April 10-12 at the Indianapolis Wyndham West.
Eat and Drink Like Pac-Man
These gaming-themed hot-spots are your haven in Indy. Enjoy the best game-themed cocktails, tasty treats, and authentic antique arcade games.
- Tappers Arcade Bar: Located in the Fletcher Place neighborhood, Tappers stole the scene as Indy's original retro arcade bar. You'll find over 60 free-to-play games, regional craft beer, mouth-watering snacks, and craft cocktails. Don't miss themed trivia on Wednesdays and Sundays.
- One Up: Broad Ripple's first arcade is complete with food, drinks, and an array of games that you'll be thrilled to experience.
- 16-Bit Bar+Arcade: This newest addition to downtown is redefining how a night out is best played. Offering classic arcade games, pinball, skeeball, old-school cocktails, and an awesome beer selection, 16-Bit will have you partying like it’s 1999, or 1989 for that matter.
- TILT Studio: This epic arcade in Circle Centre mall has hyper-bowling, laser tag, a real Indy 500 Race Car Challenge, and so much more.
- Punch Bowl Social: A plethora of classic arcade games alongside bowling, ping-pong, bocce, and other games make this downtown's hub for entertainment, craft cocktails, and delicious meals.
- Kingmakers Board Game Parlour: The core philosophy behind Kingmakers is that games bring people together. Their space is designed as a social experience, with board game sommeliers matching people with games, and one another.
- Books + Brews: Conceived as a "place for people without a place," Books + Brews mixes craft beer, literature, table games, and community engagement to create a unique space for people to proudly be themselves.
- BlueWall Virtual Reality: Indy's passageway to another dimension. Take your gaming to the next level - actually experience the thrills you find through games in real life.
For more great options to eat while you game, check out our 25 Top Local Restaurants.
Augmented Reality Game Play in Downtown Indy
Let's be real: Pokemon and Foundables are not going to find themselves. So, whether you're playing Pokemon Go or Wizards Unite, you can use it as an excuse to explore the city. With Verizon 5g service with average speeds of 300 Mbps and peak speeds of up to 1000 Mbps, there are no laggy games in Indy!
- Central Canal & White River State Park: A 3-mile pedestrian loop around the Central Canal and 250 acres of greenspace in White River State Park provide a scenic setting and fertile ground for game play.
- Monument Circle: The geographic and spiritual heart of Indy has a central roundabout and spokes in all directions that may lead to unexpected treasure.
- American Legion Mall: Explore four city blocks of greenspace filled with stirring monuments and memorials that make ideal hiding spots for that which you seek.
- Indianapolis Cultural Trail: Jump on the 8-mile Cultural Trail and the entire city becomes your game board. Connect with neighborhoods including Mass Ave, Fountain Square, Indiana Avenue, and the heart of downtown.
If you're in Indy and you need gear, these local shops have you covered.
- Good Games: The first US location for Good Games is right in the heart of downtown Indy. With over 20 tables and seating for well over 100, they are sure to have just the game for you and room to play.
- The Exchange: This Broad Ripple staple is your spot for vintage video games. Everything from CDs, to DVDs, to massive finds await you.